Thursday, June 12, 2014

LOVE

When does love become more than an emotion? When does love become more than a feeling towards people who already care for you? When does love become more than something given when it's easy and convenient?

When does love become an action to all, not based on your needs or wants?
When does love become something given to all because of an excess and a knowledge of an overwhelming perfect love received from the Most High and Almighty?

I don't have answers to these questions yet.

(A quick update from May 25 I gave at Crossroads Bible Church. Just a few minutes long)

Love is something God has been teaching me a lot about. With a million students coming for immersion, and with running kids programs for kiddos, I want to be able to love them all, and love them all well. I also want to be able to love well my family, friends, and this neighborhood!

I have been chosen and loved. Praise the Lord! Out of that reality I want to be able to love others as we as disciples are called to do. But it's hard!

I don't want to love someone for selfish reasons; for my needs to be met, or to get something from it.
I don't want to love someone out of obligation to 'be a good person'.
I don't want to love someone to boost my reputation, or any prideful reasons.
I don't want to love someone out of my human limits.
I don't want to love someone to find acceptance.

I want to love because Christ loves me and it's overflowing.

I want to love because God has called us to love.
 
I want to love because God first loved me.

I want to love with the fullness Christ's love.
 
I want to love because I am accepted as God's.
 
 
 
 
 
 
My word for the summer is conduit.

con·duit

noun
: someone or something that is used as a way of sending something from one place or person to another
 
 

Imagine a vase, on a slight tilt, with water being poured in from the top. Once it is full, the water from the top keeps pouring in, but now it also is pouring the excess water from itself down into more vases. Or! Imagine when you try to put your big water bottle under the sink but the sink is too small. You have to squeeze it in, but it can't stand upright so you can never get it all the way full without water running out and spilling over.

I believe that can happen in our lives. When we realize how much our Father loves us, and start to understand the depths of love, then we can really love others with Christ's love. Not out of a place of need or wants, but out of a place of God first loving us.

I'm learning this. I am far from perfecting this love. I am selfish, and I base decisions of my pride or my desires. But this is one way I hope to grow this summer.

I want to be a conduit of God's love. His good, perfect, and incomparable love!
 
See what great love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are!

1 comment:

  1. Very thought provoking. I need to chew on this for awhile.

    ReplyDelete